Monday, May 10, 2010

Laundry and gratitude


Laundry, piles of laundry, everyday and never ending.

The washer seems to endlessly fill, spin and rinse, while the hum of the dryer is a permanent sound throughout the house.

Dirty laundry gets sorted, added to a washer full of warm water and suds, and then the cleaning process begins. The dirty laundry is swished back and forth, pounding the dirt out, then the dirty water is drained off, and the laundry spins round and round to get rid of the remaining dirty water. Clean water rinses the laundry and after being spun one more time, the laundry is clean. The dirt has been removed and they are now ready to be dried off, only to go through the whole process again very shortly.

My life feels a lot like that. I get dirty and need to be washed. Sometimes the washing process is warm and gentle, other times the dirt needs to be pounded out and then rinsed away. And after all the cleaning and being dried off, I know that invariably the process will start all over again.

There will always be dirt in my life, but I know that God will forever continue to clean me.

And while I wait for the rinse cycle, I will continue to show gratitude for all that is in my life, grand and mundane, alike:

31. rainy days

32. my two sons that show their love

33. ability to attend college classes

34. a forgiving hug

35. fresh, clean clothes to tuck away into waiting drawers

36. God's word that keep me strong and give me courage

37. enough money to fill the grocery list

38. email that allows instant communication with far away friends and family

39. the opportunity to be home when my son comes home from school for lunch

40. roses on the table

What are you grateful for today?

Blessings!

Amy

holy experience

2 comments:

E. Swan said...

Amy, I've passed the last little while reading your blog. I think I found a link on Holy Experience. I love your honest words and deep soul. You are alive! I noticed in your sidebar that you are a midwife, how cool! I am a birth photographer and I love it! I've had both my girls with midwives. Awesomeness! Thanks for your blog : )

Amy said...

Emily,
Thanks for visiting! I'm not actually a midwife yet. I finished one year of my training and laid it all aside, but God has laid it very plainly in front of me that this is the path He wants me on, no matter how often I try to walk away! LOL I am newly separated, unfortunately, and yet, it is good, as the marriage was abusive, so I am now trying to figure life out and what I need to be doing.
Wow, birth photographer...how wonderful!
Hope to "see" you again!