Monday, May 24, 2010

Finishing the end

I resist change. There I said it.
I cling to the familiar as if it were an old beloved blankie, worn but cozy. Yet resisting change is kind of like being caught in the spin cycle, forever, always moving, but getting nowhere and staying the same, over and over again.

Without change in our lives, we cannot finish the end, and if the end is never finished, how can we move into the new? The familiar gives a false feeling of safeness in our lives, but it also keeps us forever stuck in a state of staleness. No growing takes place and we fail to become all that God would have us to be. Life becomes stagnant and we miss out on living it to the fullest.

"God, help me fully embrace and finish my endings, so I may be ready for my new beginnings." ~excerpted from The Language of Letting Go, Melody Beattie

The author says that "we may want to hold back the tides of change, not because the change isn't good, but because we have had so much change, so much loss", and all that change and loss makes us feel afraid of more change, especially when the change in our lives has caused grief and pain.

More change, no way! The pain is too unbearable from what has already happened, so any more change is bound to bring more pain.
No, it is safer, we decide to stay right where we are at. If we don't look at it directly and quickly scoot it under the rug and hide it, we can just stay right here where it's familiar, and try to live around it, hoping the pain will just dissipate and then we don't have to really deal with it.

Yet I know in my heart it is time, and God is gently tugging at me, to trust. Trust Him with finishing the end of my story and allow Him to make my paths straight so that I may live life again, live it to the fullest, embracing each day as the gift that it is.

Oh how I resist finishing the end so I can move into the new. It's scary, it's unfamiliar, it means slowly releasing what has actually had a hold of me for years. Am I ready to move on? Yes. Can I do it? Yes, but not alone. And for that I'm so grateful that God will provide the light to my feet so I do not stumble, and gently lead me down the path that still lies dark ahead of me, trusting that He has it all laid out perfectly.



As I move towards the end so I can step into a new beginning, I will continue to be grateful for the blessings in my life.

41. God's Word

42. a joyfulness in my heart

43. quiet on this early morning

44. bills paid and in the mail

45. spending time my boys as we watch and contemplate a favorite tv show's finale

46. ability to attend school

47. a cup of warm, chocolaty coffee on this chilly, gray day

48. making cookies as a treat for my boys after a long day

49. a parent's love

50. memories that bring a smile to my face in the middle of my day

What are you grateful for today?

Blessings!
Amy

holy experience

1 comment:

Annesta said...

"And for that I'm so grateful that God will provide the light to my feet so I do not stumble, and gently lead me down the path that still lies dark ahead of me, trusting that He has it all laid out perfectly."
I join you in gratitude for that light that helps us along the way...that helps us not to stumble but allows us to keep walking in the darkness.
Amy, such a well thought out list of gifts.
blessings
~a