Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Wounding by words

We all chanted it as children, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."
Did we really believe it? Do we believe it now?

Even the Lord tells us throughout His Word that how we speak determines what is in our hearts, and our words can either build someone up or wound them deeply.

"Reckless words pierce like a sword..."
~Proverbs 12:18

"...harsh words stir up anger."
~Proverbs 15:1b

"...a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit."
~Proverbs 15:4b

Harsh words can pierce a soul, creating wounds that have a hard time healing and in some cases, never do.

When a favorite coffee cup is dropped it may not break, but it might develop a crack. We mend the crack with glue in hopes of salvaging the cup that was so dear to us, but the truth is that no matter how much glue we use to try and seal the crack, that cup is never the same again. It is more likely to leak now and possibly break along the crack if dropped again. It has been weakened and damaged, and will never be the same again, no matter how hard we work to fix it.

Words create cracks in a person's inner being if used to hurt and destroy, if used liked weapons. And those cracks within a person do not suddenly heal or go away, they will always be in them, a vulnerable area that is likely to crack further or break over time if words are continually hurled at them.

Let us be wise and loving, keeping our tongues reined in. Let us look upon our family members and those around us as a gift from God and remember that what comes out of our mouths is a direct link to our hearts.

May we have hearts for Him and words of wisdom and healing.

Are you walking with Him today?

Blessings!

Amy

holy experience

4 comments:

amy in peru said...

ooh yes. words hurt. my words hurt others. Lord, help me!

...just wanted to add a quick comment because my name is Amy too! and I've had this lingering thought of wanting to be a childbirth instructor/doula! So, I stepped out of lurkdom and decided to say hello :)

have a blessed day!
amy in peru

J said...

BEAUTIFUL illustration of how powerful our words are!! Thank you! I really needed to hear this today. I will often tell my 4-year-old, who likes to use her voice to whine or complain, that God gave her a beautiful voice to lift others up and encourage, not tear down. I will be using your cup example to her. Thank you for sharing....visiting from Holy Experience. Today, I needed this for myself. :o( I will try better tomorrow! :o) God Bless!

AprilMay said...

This is so true! Especially this: "....what comes out of our mouths is a direct link to our hearts." I've often had students say "I didn't mean it" or "I was just joking". Adults do it too, unfortunately. :(

Amy said...

Amy - welcome from another Amy! Glad you found me.

J - Nice to "meet" you! I think it is so important to teach our children early on powerful words can be.

April - kids can certainly be very hurtful with their words.

Whenever I've said something really hurtful or mean off the cuff so to speak, it is the most vile feeling in the pit of my stomach. Unfortunately, there are those that feed on the power it gives them and I honestly don't know how anyway can talk so hurtfully to others and just not take responsibility for it. :(