Monday, December 13, 2010

Delight is found in the delay

Ever felt like the Lord waits a little too long to step in and help? Ever prayed instructions to Him, instead of a prayer stating your needs? You know the ones, the prayer which directs the Lord in how to help us..."Dear Lord, this has been a really difficult time for me, would you please do this and that to make it all right?"

Sometimes the waiting is just too long and hard.

We often times think we know best for our lives, but the Lord knows exactly what needs to be done and when. He knows the appointed time and place that things will happen and does not need direction from us, He needs for us to simply be still and wait.

But the waiting, the delay, that time in which the Lord is working in our lives can seem so frustratingly, painfully long.

After the storm is always a calm. Many times there is a colorful rainbow to decorate a once bleak sky.

And so it is in our lives. After the delay the Lord sends delight.
Sometimes the longer the delay, the sweeter the delight.
And after 20 years of delay in my life, of struggles and storms, the Lord is sending delight into my life.

Today I will continue to count my blessings and see what delight the Lord has sent to me.

#71 the freedom to openly worship my Lord

#72 newly painted toes

#73 new found love which makes my heart sing

#74 long distance friendships that never grow cold

#75 money for gas

#76 Christmas tree with colorful lights and memorable decorations

#77 the gift of being a mother

#78 Christmas cards sent to reconnect with family and friends

#79 the ability to provide nourishing food for my family

#80 sunshine streaming through my window on a bleak winter day

What are you grateful for?

Blessings!

Amy

2 comments:

AprilMay said...

I wish I could say that I believe there will be a "delight" waiting for me at some vague point in my future, but I don't. God didn't promise me delights in this life. In fact, His word states that Christians should expect suffering. Still, I know that the delights of heaven await me, which is worth having to muddle through this life! I wish I could fast-forward to heaven though. You are lucky, my friend. :) XOXO

Hannah said...

WOW! Such an encouraging piece!

I find that so many things on your list most would take for granted, but they shouldn't be taken for granted should they?

Small things like painted toes, and big things like being a mother.

Tee hee! Even if the kids at times drive you up a wall! My daughter 'again' called this morning to tell me she ONCE again forgot something important at home - please bring it to school. Sigh - this time her major biology project!

No. I don't want to get out in the bitter weather, and drive in my beat up car. I will though. I will because she was my little gift from God, and he has blessed me with her. I will because I love her, even though at times I would love to string her up by her toenails (sarcasm)!

My life wouldn't be the same without her, and of course my son as well. They are my little sweeties even though at this time in life they tend to be drama queens! lololol! Being teens and all! It comes with the territory.

Thanks for the reminder this morning!