Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A time for everything...

Every person on this earth, believers and non-believers alike, will suffer. It is a fact of life. For some the suffering is momentarily, for others it is a lifetime.
For those whose trust in Jesus Christ, they can be assured that through their suffering they will one day have joy.

I have always loved Ecclesiastes 3:1-8. There is indeed a time for everything in this life and only God knows the appointed time for each of us.
Verse 11 tells us that "he has made everything beautiful in its time." And how true this is.
Life can be hard, I know first hand. Life can be full of misery, hatefulness, bitterness and sorrow. Life. Is. Hard.
And God does not promise us thorn-less roses.

Twenty-two months ago I was abandoned and left in a wake of suffering. Condemnation and judgment from others became the millstone around my neck.

Ten months later I was accused of a crime I never did and had to step into that place of suffering again. And once again, condemnation and judgment was hung around my neck.

Life is hard. It is full of thorns, some so tiny we do not see them until they pierce our flesh causing us to cry out in pain. Others are large and quite visible, but try as we might there is no avoiding them and the agony they inflict.
And for some, they may be handed that one thorn-less rose, even if just for a moment in their life. A momentary joy that makes their hearts sing.

Ecclesiastes 5:18-19 reminds us that "it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and...be happy in his work---this is a gift of God."

God gives us the gift of life and all that comes with it. I do not believe that He intends for us to only have suffering in our lives, even though He does say there will be suffering for those whose belief in His son Jesus Christ. I believe that He wants us to find joy and happiness in the life that He gave us, and He knows that we only find that through His son Jesus Christ whom he sent so we could live.

As we approach Christmas, may we take time to reflect on our lives, the thorns and all, and open our eyes to all that God has given us. Even among the thorns may we be able to catch a glimpse of the roses that color our lives, leaving a beautiful scent.
Let us celebrate the true reason for Christmas and walk with Jesus each day of our lives.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
~1 Thessalonians 16-18

Blessings!

Amy



3 comments:

Homeschooling Momtographer said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the difficulties you've been facing. Your faith is shining through it all...

{Stopping in from Ann's blog.}

~Catherine

Amy said...

Thanks for stopping by Catherine! As the year is ending, I see a wonderful new beginning in my life and for that I'm thankful. The Lord has been with me on this long journey over the past couple years and as hard as it's been at times, I can truly see so many blessings through it all.
I love Ann's blog and am grateful for that wonderful community of women.
Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Amy...our family has been through a lot this past year...it's been very overwhelming at times. But it has also given me a new vision and a new direction...for that I am grateful.
I hope you have a great 2011!